Life Beyond Ego
By Josef Woodard
One of the primary voices in 21st century jazz, the 32-year-old trumpeter has been zeroing in on the next phase of his development as an artist: exploring and expanding his work as a composer.
By Phillip Lutz
Even a cursory look at the drummer’s career reveals that, while he has been an innovative force in jazz for 50 years, his profile has lagged behind his achievement. But that may be changing.
By Davis Inman
The pianist, songwriter, producer and arranger is alone behind the wheel on his latest album, recorded during two solo concerts in New York.
By Bill Milkowski
The accomplished slide trumpeter’s greatest talent is his ability to pull music out of a band on the spot by trusting his instincts and making snap decisions.
Musicians’ Gear Guide
Best of The NAMM Show 2014
Drummer Eric Harland was tested on the following tracks for the “Blindfold Test”:
- Christian McBride: “Cherokee” from Out Here (Mack Avenue)
- John Escreet: “Animal Style” from Sabotage And Celebration (Whirlwind)
- Pat Metheny: “Mastema” from Tap: John Zorn’s Book Of Angels, Vol. 20 (Nonesuch/Tzadik)
- David Virelles: “Mañongo Pablo” from Continuum (Pi)
- David Gilmore: “Four: Formation” from Numerology: Live At Jazz Standard (Evolutionary Music)
- Günter Baby Sommer: “2 Besen für Philly Joe” from Dedications–Hormusik IV (Intakt)
- Terence Blanchard: “No Borders Just Horizons” from Magnetic (Blue Note)
- Benny Green: “Benny’s Crib” from Magic Beans (Sunnyside)
Also In This Issue
NEA Jazz Masters Concert Caught; Panama Jazz Festival Caught; Cassandra Wilson Caught; Fareed Haque’s Global Experience; Max Roach Legacy Collection; Brass School: The Art of Lead Trumpet Playing with Mike Williams, David Taylor Master Class, Kirk Garrison Pro Session, Roy Hargrove Solo Transcription; University of Denver’s Lamont School of Music; plus Dozens of CD Reviews, Product Reviews and Much More!