By Dan Ouellette
Underlying all of guitarist Kurt Rosenwinkel’s musical endeavors are his dreams. Not just quaint aspirations or romantic quests, but real, deep-to-the-marrow dreams that have significantly shaped his artistry.
Lyrical & Spiritual
By Allen Morrison
Eleven years after releasing an album titled Beyond Words, the vocalist has returned to singing the type of songs in which the lyrics express his deepest yearnings: spirituals.
Then And Now
By Joel Harrison
One of today’s top guitarists interviews Third Stream pioneer Gunther Schuller and checks in with other genre-mixing artists.
Greater Darkness, Greater Light
By Geoffrey Himes
Samples from a cappella hymns sung by the Gee’s Bend Singers serve as the connecting tissue on the drummer’s debut solo album, Transcendence (Motéma).
Cécile McLorin Salvant
Trumpeter/flugelhornist Ingrid Jensen was tested on the following tracks for the “Blindfold Test”:
- Paolo Fresu: “Fisherman, Strawberry And Devil Crab” from Cinquant’Anni Suonati, Vol. 2 (Gruppo Editoriale L’Espresso S.p.A.)
- Jim Rotondi: “Bizarro World” from 1000 Rainbows (Posi-Tone)
- Philip Dizack: “Forest Walker” from End Of An Era (Truth Revolution)
- Nicholas Payton: “Drad Dog” from #BAM: Live At Bohemia Caverns (BMF Records)
- Alexander von Schlippenbach/Globe Unity Orchestra: “Nodago” from Globe Unity—40 Years (Intakt)
- Dominick Farinacci: “Willow Weep For Me” from Dawn Of Goodbye (eOne)
- Tomasz Stanko New York Quartet: “Assassins” from Wislawa (ECM)
- Jeremy Pelt: “Butterfly Dreams” from Water And Earth (High Note)
- Diego Urcola: “El Brujo (To Hermeto Pascoal)” from Appreciation (CAM Jazz)
Also In This Issue
Todd Barkan's Iridium Series; jazzahead!; Guitar Monsters reissued; Paquito D’Rivera Remembers Bebo Valdés; Omer Avital; Basin Street Records at 15; European Scene; Guitar School: The Art of the Archtop, Elliott Sharp Master Class, Buddy Guy Transcription; Michigan State University Artist-in-Residence Program; plus Dozens of CD Reviews, Product Reviews and Much More!