Order Print version | Get a Digital Subscription
May 2016 (Volume 82, Number 5)
By Phillip Lutz
Saxophonist McCaslin and his band—keyboardist Jason Lindner, bassist Tim Lefebvre and drummer Mark Guiliana, augmented by guitarist Ben Monder—served as the core ensemble for rock superstar David Bowie’s final album, Blackstar. The collaboration’s profound impact is just starting to be understood.
Follow the Vitality
By Ted Panken
Rosenwinkel has developed and refined a technique and conception that a sizable, cross-genre cohort of guitar practitioners regard as definitive. During a visit to the 2015 Voll-Damm Barcelona International Jazz Festival, the guitarist took part in the sixth annual DownBeat Blindfold/Winefold Test.
By Dan Ouellette
The trumpeter’s extensive sideman experience has been instrumental in helping him find a singular voice in any setting—a quality that’s on full display with #Jiveculture, his seventh CD as a leader on the HighNote label.
The Value of Space
By Bobby Reed
A sought-after drummer who’s equally at home leading her band Boom Tic Boom and collaborating with artists in the jazz and pop-rock worlds, Miller embodies the tireless hard-work ethos that’s required to sustain a healthy career as a jazz musician in 2016.
2016 International Summer Festival Guide
Pianist Arturo O’Farrill was tested on the following tracks for the “Blindfold Test”:
- Pepe Rivero Big Band: “Gandinga, Mondongo And Epistrophy With Sandunga” from Monk And The Cuban Big Band (Universal)
- Gonzalo Rubalcaba: “Moore” from XXI Century (5Passion)
- Sullivan Fortner: “Passepied” from Aria (Impulse!)
- Eddie Henderson: “Dreams” from Collective Portrait (Smoke Sessions)
- Fabian Almazan: “Jambo” from Rhizome (ArtistShare/Blue Note)
- Pedro Giraudo Big Band: “Push Gift” from Cuentos (Zoho)
- Osmany Paredes: “Perla Marina/Longina” from Trio Time (Menduvia)
- Edsel Gómez: “The Chant” from Road To Udaipur (Zoho)
- Emilio Solla y la Inestable de Brooklyn: “Raro” from Second Half (Self Release)
Also In This Issue
Chet Baker Personified in Born to be Blue; Aruán Ortiz; George Coleman; In Paris: The ORTF Recordings of Larry Young; Ryan Truesdell at Elmhurst College Jazz Festival; European Scene; PDX Jazz Festival; Reed School: Jon Irabagon Talks Influences with Sonny Rollins, John Wojciechowski Master Class, Brian Landrus Solo Transcription; University of Missouri–Kansas City Jazz Program; plus Dozens of CD Reviews, Product Reviews and Much More!