By James Hale
A previously unreleased late-1966 concert recording of John Coltrane has given fans, critics and musicians an opportunity to reconsider where the enigmatic saxophonist was headed in the last year of his life.
The Same Root
By Ted Panken
Over the course of three decades, the pianist-bandleader has evolved from an efflorescent performer into a mature impresario-maestro.
By Yoshi Kato
The 45-year-old saxophone star discusses the value of working with a tight-knit group of trustworthy musicians.
Rebirth Brass Band
Keep It Goin’ Like a Heartbeat
By Jennifer Odell
In a city where traditions are held sacred, the Rebirth Brass Band—anchored by Philip and Keith Frazier—has redefined the standard for brass band music without losing sight of its heritage.
‘The Whole Package’
By John McDonough
As one of the major composers of jazz’s modern era, the late pianist-bandleader has a passport into the future that few working musicians can claim.
Pianist Mike LeDonne was tested on the following tracks for the “Blindfold Test”:
- Jimmy Cobb: “Unrequited” from The Original Mob (Smoke Sessions)
- Geoffrey Keezer: “Come Talk To Me” from Heart Of The Piano (Motéma)
- Arturo O’Farrill & The Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra: “The Mad Hatter” from The Offense Of The Drum (Motéma)
- Ralph Peterson’s Unity Project: “Ritha” from Outer Reaches (Onyx Music)
- Aaron Diehl: “The Cylinder” from The Bespoke Man’s Narrative (Mack Avenue)
- David Hazeltine Trio: “Horace-Scope” from Señor Blues (Venus)
- Gary Versace: “Pinwheel” from Outside In (Criss Cross Jazz)
Also In This Issue
Ornette Coleman Celebrated in Brooklyn; Rubén Blades; European Scene; Caught: Moers Festival; Indie Life: Bobby Avey, Onaje Allan Gumbs, ACT Music; Keyboard School: The World of Ultra High-End Pianos, Danny Fox Master Class, 10 Reasons Why Scales Matter, Note-Centric Ear Training With Pentatonics, Kenny Barron Piano Solo Transcription; Indiana University Builds for the Future; plus Dozens of CD Reviews, Product Reviews and Much More!